Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mosaics, Stained Glass, and Life

I just read an excellent quote in "Mosaic Techniques and Traditions" by Sonia King.  She says that the most valuable lesson she can teach her students is how to solve the problem of a difficult piece.  Isn't that like life?  We get to a difficult piece and get stuck.

In mosaics she says the problem is usually a choice/anomaly a few pieces back that was off, and it builds from there.  It's a ripple effect.  Go back and fix it at the source and the problem solves itself.  Valuable information for doing a mosaic, thoughtful information next time I hit something "off" in my life.

One thing I love about stained glass is the ability to piece it together like a jigsaw puzzle, only I'm the one creating it which gives me control.  Yes, I like to be the one in control of my life.  That fits.  

No comments:

Post a Comment