Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tolstroy and the Purple Chair

I never read Tolstroy, but I have read "Tolstroy and the Purple Chair" by Nina Sankovitch.  This counts as high culture, right?  By chance, I even read the book while sitting on my own purple fold-up chair at a swim meet.  It didn't occur to me until I returned to my chair from watching ds race and saw my copy of "Tolstroy and the Purple Chair" sitting on MY purple chair. 
Purple Chair #1
Already a blogger on her website, readallday.org, Nina made a commitment to read an entire book everyday for a year.  She also blogged about each book daily.  Gotta love that tenacity.  As the mother of three boys myself, I also really appreciated the time dedication this required.

As I read this book, I was trying to take my mind off my husband's possible breast cancer.  I didn't know it when I first picked up the book, but the author was grieving the loss of her sister to cancer throughout the book.  While this didn't help me take my mind off dh, it did assure me the comfort of "escaping" into a good book.  He does have breast cancer, but we're both reading a lot of books this summer while he's recovering from surgery. Right now, I'm waiting for a book on health and healing to come in from Amazon.
Purple Chair #2
On a lighter note - can you believe I have TWO purple chairs?  My childhood rocking chair is also painted purple.  Honestly, I think the purple chair is what attracted me to the book in the first place.  

No comments:

Post a Comment