Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

Thanks to Google I now know it was Plato who said this first. In the shower this morning it kept echoing through my head. I couldn't get it out of my head actually, but it made me happy so I let it stay.

"The Economy" is something the media speak about as if it is capitalized. It's right up there with "Global Warming" to bring you warm fuzzies. Not. But I think both issues will be addressed the same way homeschoolers have been doing for quite some time. When you find something you really want, or need, to do you find a way to do it. Or you adapt. Sometimes God calls you in a different direction than you intended.

"Necessity is the Mother of Invention" is going to be my philosophy. Funny it was a famous philosopher who first said it. I can't buy any more glass until some stained glass panels sells. I can't buy grout until any mosaics sell. Luckily I have 3 panels and 2 mosaics in process right now.

In one way money restrictions are depressing, but it is also freeing. I don't want my creative endeavors to be a drain on our family resouces right now. And creatively, I'm going to take the time to use the scraps I do have to make some great smaller stained glass pieces. I have boxes and boxes of scraps. Of course I also have a notebook stuffed with stained glass patterns I'm working on. I guess I get more time to get my designs refined. This is a source of creativity if I let it be.

Last thought, my prayers are really active for those who don't have a job. By the grace of God, my husband not only has kept his job, but got a raise. In banking right now, that's a miracle pure and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment