Friday, July 17, 2009

Echinacea Expanding but Daisies Gone



Several years ago I planted Echinacea (Purple Coneflower), and as much as I wanted it to expand in the flower bed it never did. This year -boom! - it's all over the place. I see at least six new plants starting up, and a couple more already in bloom. Very cool since I've been diligent about scattering seed each year.

So apparently the clematis and echinacea did very well with the extra rain we've had this year. The lavender and shasta daisies, not so much. When I split my lavender 1/2 died. When I split my daisies 1/3 died. Humm. What am I doing wrong? I've divided lot's of plants but come to think of it I lost an ornamental grass trying to divide it into too many clumps. The daisies however were huge, each 1/3 division was a gallon size at least. At least 2 survived, but the one right in front of my house is gone. The mysteries of gardening.

No comments:

Post a Comment